Frequently Asked Questions
What are the rules for international travel to England?
Rules for international travel to England changed on 4 October 2021. Testing requirements have reduced for eligible fully vaccinated travellers, who no longer need to take a Pre-Departure Test (PDT) when travelling to England from Monday 4 October 4am. Check the rules for travel to England from abroad.
- Unvaccinated passengers will however be required to test on day 2 and day 8 and self-isolate (test to release remains an option to reduce self-isolation period).
- Further information can be obtained by visiting the UK government travel advice: New system for international travel - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Who needs to take a test to travel to England?
You must take a COVID-19 test before you travel to England if you either:
- do not qualify as fully vaccinated for travel to England
- have been in a country or territory on the red list in the 10 days before you will arrive in England
You do not have to take a COVID-19 test before you travel to England if you qualify as fully vaccinated and you have not been in a red list country.
What are the rules for international travel to Gibraltar?
In line with the UK Government, HM Government of Gibraltar has introduced a simplified system for international travel effective from Monday 4th October 2021.
- The current traffic light system will be replaced by a single red list of countries and territories which will continue to be crucial in order to protect public health.
- You will be REQUIRED to take a COVID-19 Lateral Flow Tests within 24hrs of your arrival.
- The arrival test cost is £25 (GHA card holders / Gibraltar residents / individuals who are registered Gibraltarian, either by birth or naturalisation) and £30 for all other air passengers.
- Air passengers will still be required to complete the passenger locator form and upload evidence of their fully vaccinated status or negative COVID-19 test result as applicable.
- Your test result will be sent via email within 30 to 60 minutes after your rapid test.
What are the Testing and Self-Isolation Requirements for Entry into Gibraltar?
For a summary of the testing and isoltaion requirements for Gibraltar visit the Gibraltar Tourism COVID-19 Information at www.visitgibraltar.gi/covid-19
Does your rapid test meet UK Government requirements for entry to the UK from Gibraltar?
Yes, our rapid test meets UK Government guidelines for international travellers entering the UK from Gibraltar. We are the recommended HM Government of Gibraltar rapid testing service.
What is the process to book or register for a rapid test?
Save time, make sure you have booked a test before queuing at the Testing Service.
- When arriving into Gibraltar, all air passengers are required to fill in the Passenger Locator Form which will then direct you to register for a rapid test. For a summary of the testing and isoltaion requirements for Gibraltar visit the Gibraltar Tourism COVID-19 Information at www.visitgibraltar.gi/covid-19
- For rapid tests when departing from Gibraltar register here.
- Once you have registered you will receive a barcode via email. Come to the Rapid Testing Service and join the queue.
- There is no specific date or time to have your rapid test once you have booked online.
- When it is your turn, you will be called to the test window and our Test Operative will ask for your barcode and test you immediately.
- You will be informed of the test result via text mobile phone text message and email within 30 to 60 minutes after your test. Only Departure tests will receive a test certificate via email.
This service is also for:
- Airline passengers who are not fully vaccinated and departing in the next 72 hours (we recommend you get tested at least 48 hours before your departure).
- Any NON-RESIDENT of Gibraltar (no airline travel required to have a test).
- The price of the lateral flow rapid test for Departing passengers is £30.
- Departing Gibraltar Government Scholarship students with a Unique Identification Number (UIN) are entitled to ONE free rapid test each term.
I have not received my Test Barcode by email?
Check your junk or spam email folder to see if our email with your Test Barcode is in there.
Will I get a rapid test certificate after I have done a test?
Yes, you will receive an electronic test certificate. Within 30 min to 60 min you will be sent an SMS message (to your phone) notifying you that an email has been sent to you with your test result and test certificate.
I have not received my Test Certificate by email?
Please check your junk or spam email folder to see if the email with your result and certificate is in there.
What happens if my travel plans change. Does the test I paid for expire?
Your test sits in our system as 'Pending' until they are used, there are no expiry dates on regsitered tests.
What type of rapid test will be taken and how does it work?
What is the minimum age for a rapid lateral flow test?
Arrivals: Any person (aged 12 years or over) arriving in Gibraltar by air .
Departures: Any person (aged 11 years or over) travelling to the UK.
Please Note: Testing is only available to individuals 6 years old and older if requested by a parent or guardian.
I'm a Gibraltar resident, how do a get a PCR test and certificate to travel?
Gibraltar residents who are travelling to other countries, which specifically require a PCR test, should contact the GHA’s Public Health Department by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Full Names (as printed on Passport)
- Passport Number
- Date of Birth
- Scanned Copy of GHA Card
- Contact Telephone Number
- Evidence of the country of destination requiring a PCR test (e.g. electronic flight ticket)
Public Health Gibraltar will make arrangements to have a test conducted at the Drive Through Facility, based on the information provided and on verifying the requirement for a PCR certificate for onward travel. There is a charge for the PCR test and PCR certificate.
Where is the Rapid COVID-19 Testing Service located?
The Rapid COVID-19 Testing Service is located outside the Gibraltar Airport. Look for the blue and white cabins.
What are the Rapid COVID-19 Testing Service opening hours?
We are open everyday, 7 days a week Monday to Sunday from 8:00am to 6:00pm.
We will also stay open upto 1.5 hours after a scheduled evening flight.
For example, if a flight is scheduled to arrive at 7.30pm, we will stay open until 9.00pm to test arriving passengers.
How do I contact the Rapid COVID-19 Testing Service?
You can contact us via email at email@example.com or phone +350 200 44038
What are the Civil Contingencies Emergency (Coronavirus) Regulations?
The emergency regulations lapse at the end of the period of 30 days beginning with the date on which they are made or at such time as may be specified in the regulations. It is the individual’s responsibility to ensure that they follow the most up to date regulations. Latest regulations can be accessed by visiting www.gibraltarlaws.gov.gi
COVID-19 Coronavirus Health Advice
To visit the Public Health Gibraltar website click here